with Gardening Girl Julia Dimakos
In this week’s episode of Down the Garden Path, Matt and Joanne welcome returning guest Gardening Girl Julia Dimakos to discuss autumn edibles and her gardening endeavors for 2021. Even though the days are getting shorter, Julia shares some of the wonderful edibles you can still plant for a late-season harvest and to help us get ready for next spring.
About Julia Dimakos
Julia started growing food after having children and fell in love with it! She gardens organically and tries to keep things simple while growing new and uncommon vegetables each year. Her garden is located in Mono, Ontario, on 25 acres on the Niagara Escarpment. Two years ago, Julia expanded her vegetable garden from 2000 to 7000 square feet, continuing in the formal kitchen garden style.
She loves to inspire others to have their own vegetable gardens by showing them the simpler side of gardening. She enjoys teaching others, speaking, and holding workshops. You read her blog at www.juliadimakos.com.
Don’t miss our conversation on autumn edibles with Gardening Girl Julia Dimakos.
Julia answers a few of our questions:
- In February you mentioned you were expanding the garden. How many square feet is it this year, and what did you plant in your expansion?
- In February, we talked about all the wonderful vegetables you were growing for 2021. What were some of the plants you were most excited to grow this year and how did they turn out?
- What were some of the challenges you faced in the garden this year?
- How do we know when late-season fruit and vegetables, like melons and pumpkins, are ready?
- What can we start growing in September for a mid-to-late fall harvest?
- What should we be planting now for next year?
Julia also answered a wide range of listener questions.
You can also listen to past Down the Garden Path shows featuring Julia:
As the owner of Down2Earth Landscape Design, Joanne Shaw has been designing beautiful gardens for homeowners east of Toronto for over a decade.
And Matthew Dressing is a horticulturist and landscape designer. He owns Natural Affinity Garden Design, a landscape design and garden maintenance firm servicing Toronto and the Eastern GTA. Together, Joanne and Matthew do their best to bring you interesting, relevant and helpful topics. Their goal is to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as possible.
Don’t forget to check out Down the Garden Path on your favourite podcast app and subscribe!