This week, landscape designers Matthew Dressing and Joanne Shaw start the month exploring a new topic on Down the Garden Path: flowering trees. In this episode, they begin with a look at small flowering trees, which are referred to as standard trees.
Tune in to learn more about how to incorporate standard flowering trees in your garden.
Joanne and Matt discuss:
- What is considered a “standard” flowering tree?
- How are standard, or small flowering trees, formed?
- Where do we measure the height of a standard tree?
- How are we using them in the landscape?
- Some cultivars of standard flowering shrubs include:
- Hydrangea, Ninebark, Weigela, Weeping Pea Shrub, Smoke Bush, Flowering Almond, Rose trees, Cotoneaster
- Other non-flowering standard forms:
- Junipers, Nest Spruce, Globe Blue Spruce
August 9th: Happy Birthday Questions & Answers
August 16th: Flowering Dogwoods
August 23rd: Large Flowering Trees
August 30th: Your Questions, Our Answers
About Your Hosts
As the owner of Down2Earth Landscape Design, Joanne Shaw has been designing beautiful gardens for homeowners east of Toronto for over a decade.
And Matthew Dressing is a horticulturist and landscape designer. He owns Natural Affinity Garden Design, a landscape design and garden maintenance firm servicing Toronto and the Eastern GTA. Together, Joanne and Matthew do their best to bring you interesting, relevant and helpful topics. Their goal is to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as possible.
Thanks for listening! Don’t forget to check out Down the Garden Path on your favourite podcast app and subscribe!