This month on the podcast, landscape designers Matthew Dressing and Joanne Shaw take a deep dive into some of the colourful and resilient staples of the perennial garden. Last week on Down the Garden Path, they examined Echinacea & Rudbeckia, and in this episode, they discuss perennial foliage plants.
No garden is complete without some interesting perennial foliage.
Tune in as Matt and Joanne discuss:
- Their favourite perennial foliage plants.
- Matt’s choices include: Ligularia, Rodgersia, Bugbane (Actaea), Lamium, Carpet Bugle, Kirengeshoma, Mukdenia, Mudgenia, Heuchera/Tiarella/Heucherella, Pulminaria, Sedum
- Growing conditions: soil, temperature, zones, lighting, watering.
- Blooming: Type, when and for how long, what colours.
- Use and value to the perennial garden.
- Cultivars of note for each plant.
Enjoy past perennial Down the Garden Path podcast episodes:
June 28th: Perennial Geraniums
July: A month dedicated to popular shrubs, including hydrangeas, ninebarks and weigela.
August: A month dedicated to flowering trees, including standard trees, flowering dogwoods and large flowering trees.
About Your Hosts
As the owner of Down2Earth Landscape Design, Joanne Shaw has been designing beautiful gardens for homeowners east of Toronto for over a decade.
And Matthew Dressing is a horticulturist and landscape designer. He owns Natural Affinity Garden Design, a landscape design and garden maintenance firm servicing Toronto and the Eastern GTA. Together, Joanne and Matthew do their best to bring you interesting, relevant and helpful topics. Their goal is to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as possible.
Thanks for listening! Don’t forget to check out Down the Garden Path on your favourite podcast app and subscribe!