It’s November in the garden! As the gardening season slows down, there are still a few gardening chores to accomplish. Staying on top of your outdoor to-do list can be a challenge. In this week’s episode of Down the Garden Path, Joanne and Matthew discuss what you need to do in your garden this month so you’ll see the results you want in the spring.
Each month in our “In the Garden” podcast, professional landscape designers Joanne Shaw and Matthew Dressing do their best to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as possible. In this episode of Down the Garden Path, we share tips and to-dos for your November garden, answer listener questions and share with you what’s happening in the garden centre and in our own gardens.
Some of the topics we cover this month:
- the importance of watering weekly, especially newly planted evergreens
- adding compost/manure/organic matter to your garden
- how and when to winterize specific plants
- the November stars of the garden
- tips for clearing out annuals and winter arrangement ideas for old containers
- how to clean and care for your lawn and fruit/vegetable garden
- the rust that is currently affecting lawns
- shredding and spreading the leaves on your lawn
- applying winter fertilizer and corn gluten
- closing your pond
- cleaning your gutters and getting ready for winter!
As landscape designers and gardeners themselves, Joanne and Matthew think it is important and possible to have great gardens that are low maintenance and we want to help you make it happen.