In this episode of Down the Garden Path, landscape designers Matthew Dressing and Joanne Shaw continue their month-long discussion of popular flowering trees with a look at some of the other popular large flowering tree cultivars we often see in the landscape.
Tune in this week as Joanne and Matt discuss:
- The following popular flowering tree groups, their preferences, size, zones, and recommended cultivars:
- Crab Apple – Malus spp.
- Ivory Silk Lilac – Syringa reticulata.
- Magnolia – Magnolia spp.
- Ornamental Flowering Pear – Pyrus spp.
- Serviceberry – Amelanchier alnifolia.
- Serviceberry – Amelanchier canadensis.
- Serviceberry – Amelanchier x grandiflora ‘Autumn Brilliance’
- Tartarian Maple – Acer tartaricum.
Joanne and Matt also answer some listener questions:
- What is a cultivar?
- What are grafted trees?
- How can you reduce stress to your trees?
- What are the best practices to reduce the stress?
- How do you choose a fruit tree?
Past tree-related episodes:
August 30th: Your Questions, Our Answers
About Your Hosts
As the owner of Down2Earth Landscape Design, Joanne Shaw has been designing beautiful gardens for homeowners east of Toronto for over a decade.
And Matthew Dressing is a horticulturist and landscape designer. He owns Natural Affinity Garden Design, a landscape design and garden maintenance firm servicing Toronto and the Eastern GTA. Together, Joanne and Matthew do their best to bring you interesting, relevant and helpful topics. Their goal is to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as possible.
Thanks for listening! Don’t forget to check out Down the Garden Path on your favourite podcast app and subscribe!