Every fall on Down the Garden Path, landscape designers Matthew Dressing and Joanne Shaw review the benefits of not cleaning up the garden as plants and leaf debris overwinter many beneficial insects. There are, however, some pest concerns in the garden you can take steps to manage now. In this episode, Joanne and Matt discuss a few major garden pests which have been causing some trouble in their own gardens, some of which you may have heard of and some new ones.
Tune in to learn more about what you can do to manage pests in your garden.
Matt and Joanne discuss:
- Gypsy moth, also known as LD Moth
- When to use BTK to kill the caterpillars and how and when to get the traps to kill the adult male moths.
- Some things you can do to prevent the caterpillars from boxwood tree moth.
- Boxwood blight:
- Life cycle, controls, what to look for in the garden. There is no known treatment for blight.
- If infested, it is important to remove and destroy plants and disinfect your garden tools, etc.
- Identify and manage common problems with boxwoods
- Recommendations when bringing houseplants inside, common pests and their control.
Resources mentioned in the show:
About Your Hosts
As the owner of Down2Earth Landscape Design, Joanne Shaw has been designing beautiful gardens for homeowners east of Toronto for over a decade.
And Matthew Dressing is a horticulturist and landscape designer. He owns Natural Affinity Garden Design, a landscape design and garden maintenance firm servicing Toronto and the Eastern GTA. Together, Joanne and Matthew do their best to bring you interesting, relevant and helpful topics. Their goal is to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as possible.
Thanks for listening! Don’t forget to check out Down the Garden Path on your favourite podcast app and subscribe!