Did you have Japanese Beetles in your Garden this summer?
Did you know that not only are these a nuisance in the garden and on our plants but these colourful insects also lay thousands of eggs in our lawns and those eggs become GRUBS!
Environmentally friendly Nematodes are our own tool against grubs. Last check Nurseries in our area still have an inventory.
I personally applied some to my lawn this weekend and it wasn’t as difficult as I thought.
All you need is :
- Add tea bag to bucket when making the concentrate. This does help you see the level in your hose end sprayer.
- Water lawn well beforehand or apply after a good rain.
- Apply to edges of garden as well
- Lawn must be kept wet for several days after applying the nematodes allowing them to penetrate into the lawn to search for the grub larvae.
- Overall I found the process pretty easy and I only need 1 of the 2 sponges that come in the package for my front lawn.
- If you have run out of time this Fall and still want to tackle these 2 insects, then you can always apply Nematodes in late Spring as well.